Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Tuesday that he has not received any cease-and-desist warnings from the NFL’s Compensation Committee and stressed that he would not back off his threat to sue the league over commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract negotiations.
Jones, during a radio interview with 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, reiterated that his dispute with his fellow owners on the compensation committee involves the timing of the contract extension talks. Goodell’s current deal as commissioner is set to expire after the 2018 season.
“He has 18 months,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “We’ve got all the time in the world to extend him. We need to slow this train down.”
Jones also denied reports that he had a candidate in mind for Goodell’s replacement.
The New York Times reported Monday that the committee sent Jones a cease-and-desist warning after holding a conference call earlier in the day to discuss Goodell’s potential extension.
Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, the chairman of the committee, said Monday in a statement that the committee was still working toward an extension for Goodell and disputed Jones’ assertion that owners have been misled regarding “critical facts” about the negotiations.